Outdoor grilling is one of the most popular ways to cook. But, a grill placed too close to anything that can burn is a fire hazard. Here are some tips from the Hartselle Fire Department to help keep you and your family safe:
- Propane and charcoal BBQ grills should only be used outdoors.
- The grill should be placed well away from the home, deck railings and out from under eaves and overhanging branches.
- Keep children and pets at least three feet away from the grill area, and keep charcoal fluid out of the reach of children.
- Keep your grill clean by removing grease or fat buildup from the grills and in trays below the grill.
- Never leave your grill unattended.
- Always make sure your gas grill lid is open before lighting it.
- If you use a starter fluid for a charcoal grill, use only charcoal starter fluid. Never add charcoal fluid or any other flammable liquids to a fire.