Pursuant to the ADEM Administrative Code, Division 7, Water Supply Program, Section 335-7-11-.07, Monitoring Site Selection, Hartselle Utilities completed a water distribution system evaluation of infrastructure material types.
Hartselle Utilities Water System Inventory (Updated March 21, 2022)
The Hartselle Utilities water distribution system consists of approximate lengths of the following listed types of water main material:
- 43 miles of class 200 polyvinyl chloride (PVC)
- 41 miles of class 160 PVC
- 30.5 miles of C900 PVC
- 33 miles of cast iron
- 29.6 miles of ductile iron
- .75 miles of galvanized iron
- 7.5 miles of high density polyethylene (HDPE).
The tapping saddles for water service lines consist of ductile iron and brass with rubber gaskets.
The service lines from the main to the meter consist of the approximate lengths of the following listed types of water service material:
- 41.8 miles of polyethylene tubing
- 9.9 miles of type k copper tubing.
Service line valves and fittings are brass with compression type mechanical connections.
The number of each brand of water meter and the approximate date range in which they were installed in the HU water system are as follows:
- 160 Neptune brand installed from 1991 to 1997
- 144 Sensus brand installed from 1993 to 2005
- 264 Rockwell brand installed from 1993 to 2003
- 622 Hersey brand installed from 2000 to 2019
- 5,924 Badger brand installed from 1992 to 2016
- 860 Master Meter brand installed 2016 to 2022
Hartselle Utilities purchases only lead-free products for installation in the distribution system to ensure a future of lead-free drinking water for our customers.