Colder temperatures are expected this winter. Here are steps you can take to keep costs down:
- Turn down your thermostat to 68 degrees or lower. For every degree you lower your heat in the 60-degree to 70-degree range, you’ll save up to 5 percent on heating costs.
- Check air filters. Dirty air filters increase your energy usage and can also damage your system.
- Caulk around windows and replace old weather stripping around doors to keep cold air out.
- Reduce cold-air drafts around windows — typically seen in older homes — by using clear plastic sheets or tape clear plastic film inside your windows.
- Keep your heating system maintained.
- Open curtains on your south-facing windows on sunny days to naturally heat your home with sunlight. Close the curtains at night to reduce any chill or drafts.You can find additional energy-saving suggestions by visiting TVA’s Energy Right Solutions website at energyright.com.